giovedì 25 ottobre 2007

My first two weeks as a blogger

Before attending this English course, I had no idea of how using a blog. I heard about people who usually read them and used them, but I had never visited one. The idea of using blogs and of creating my own blog excited me, but, at the same time, made me nervous. In fact, I can use some computer programmes, but it sometimes happens that something does not work or is completely new to me, and this makes me a bit upset. However, after the first lessons, I familiarized myself with this means of communication and now I find it fantastic! You can use a blog to write your opinions and thoughts about many topics; you can answer and comment on posts written by other people; you can share pictures and videos and suggest links. I like very much the idea that people can express and publish their opinions… and see what other persons (also from throughout the world) think about them!
In my group of English, there are many girls who share my passion for cooking… and, since we do not live in the same town, the blog could be a good way to exchange ideas and recipes, and to suggest each other useful links to cooking websites.

I think that blogs are very useful in order to improve the language learning, since one own work can be read and commented by other people. The practice of peer reviewing is helpful both for the person who corrects the work, and for the person who receives the criticisms; the first can edit the text and understand his/her mistakes, while the second can learn from others’ mistakes.
The activity of blogging is very similar to that of peer reviewing experienced during the third year of university. During English lessons students were divided in groups and they had to discuss about a topic, write and send some works using First Class, and edit the texts of their peers. I must admit that it had been a bit demanding, since every week we had to write a short text and edit our peers’ works. The same discourse can be said for the activity of blogging; I spent a lot of time searching for pictures in Flickr, thinking of what to write as my presentation and what to suggest to my peers. However, I think that blogging and peer reviewing are useful in order to improve my fluency, my ability to read and write colloquial English.


Veronica

4 commenti:

Martina Urbani ha detto...

Hi Veronica!

Thank you for your post and your contribution...

I agree with you when you say that the practice of peer reviewing is helpful both for the person who corrects the work, and for the person who receives the criticisms.

As a matter of fact, the first can edit the text and understand his/her mistakes, while the second can learn from others’ mistakes.

I would like to ask you a question.... in your opinion...what kind of register should we use in our posts? I think it depends on the context.

I mean if we are writing on our personal page we can use colloquialisms, slangs and so on; but, when we are talking about language, register and style I find it difficult to discuss about them in an informal way...

What do you think about it?

Huge kiss
martina

elenavi ha detto...

Dear Veronica,

how are you doing?

while reading your post I had the sensation that we are sharing the same feelings in this adventure with blogging…excited, thrilled but a bit nervous and upset! In addition, we have a similar attitude towards the usefulness of having a blog and visiting other blogs: it is so marvellous to share our ideas with people coming from every country and every continent of the world!
As Martina says in her post, you pointed out the importance of peer reviewing. Well, I completely agree with you! Two years ago, during our 3rd year English course, I practiced it too using FirstClass so, like you, I can speak about it with some experience. As a matter of fact, through peer reviewing, you can learn what your common mistakes are and also learn a lot from the correction to your peers’ work!
Today at our speaking course we spoke a bit about peer reviewing and, as far as I am concerned, I will always appreciate any comment made by any of my peers; no matter whether it is a right or wrong tip, whether it appears rude or not because it will always be of help – it will surely make you reflect on something! I am so glad too that Sarah gives us feedback on our weekly e-tivities! It is very helpful to improve our English, also because we do more or less the same mistakes and have similar doubts! Are you of the same opinion?

Thanks for your post!

Bye,

Elena

Silvia Lovato ha detto...

Hi girls,

As you pointed out in your comments the activity of peer reviewing is very helpful. I appreciate constructive criticisms because I can improve my style and my language… Moreover, I do think that giving peer feedback is not about judging, it is about suggesting. Therefore, it is much easier to accept criticisms! What do you think about it?

During our class lesson we spoke about our common mistakes. I noticed that sometimes we do the same ones. It is particularly useful to see other people’s mistakes. Generally speaking, we can learn a lot from them! Therefore, I appreciate that Sarah posts the feedback on our weekly tasks on the blog. So, everyone can see it!

Then, I would like to speak about our group: I love it! I’ve known Elena since we were 5, Martina was the first friend I had at University… and now I’m starting to learn something about you and Camilla. I’m really having fun! As you wrote in your post, we share the same passion for cooking… Therefore we may decide to create a blog dealing with this subject! Elena could join the party, since she’s so fond in cooking! What do you think about it?

Silvia

Camilla ha detto...

Hi Veronica!

Here I am in order to make some comments on your blog!
First of all I want to tell you that I feel a bit upset because I'm probably the only one in our group who cannot use all the tools provided by our blog...but I'll try to improve my skills as soon as possible and...I'll have a righ side of the page in my blog too!!
Mine is so empty!!
So...I'm happy to see that, unlike I did, you spent time learning how to use blogs!

As you pointed out, blogosphere, and blogs in general, are so time demanding...I didn't expect it to be like that, but I was wrong!
It takes hours and hours, and you get lost in all the things you can see and do!

Each member of our group agrees with you when you say that peer reviewing is very important, so I'll try to give you my review, but please, do the same with my posts!
While reading your blog I found some mistakes, or some sentences which did not sound properly to me, so, here they are:

"...and see what other persons..."
Well, I'm sure it's just a stupid mistake, but it's better if you pay a little more attention to the fact that the plural of "person" is "people".

"...but sometimes it happens that something..."
I don't think that this sentence is wrong, but I would put the adverbial at the beginning "...but sometimes it happens that something...".
Be careful when you use "sometimes", it is a strange adverbial and can be used in different positions!

"the same discourse can be said..."
I think that this sentence sounds too "Italian"!

Well, that's all, but please, now go and correct my posts too!
It's your turn to point out my mistakes now!!!

Have a great Halloween!

See you!

Camilla